I have 3 years of experience in tech across my past internships and full time positions
I love creating digital experiences that are intuitive, simple, and solve real problems
As a former software developer, I understand the constraints of web and mobile platforms
- UX project lead for an entire product line at Carnegie
- Conducted user research through surveys and usability testing sessions, helping the team make critical product decisions
- Defined the interaction flow and visual style for a new consumer mobile app (native Android & iOS)
- Created detailed web prototypes (HTML/CSS/JS) for internal tools
- Led design reviews regularly with all stakeholders in product, front- end, back-end, and marketing teams
I had the pleasure of working with Jesse at Carnegie Technologies, where I hired him to lead the user experience design effort on an entire product category from his desk in Kitchener, ON, while I and the rest of the UX team sat in Austin, TX.October 2018 - July 2019
Despite the challenges of long-distance collaboration, a set of frequently moving goal posts in terms of product goals and vision, Jesse delivered consistently. He is thorough, detail-oriented, and innovative.
Jesse excels at user research, synthesis of that research, representing the user throughout the design process, extracting requirements from even the most reluctant stakeholders, wireframing/prototyping (from low to very high fidelity interactive prototypes)/visually laying out proposed solutions, testing those solutions, and working hand-in-hand with an implementation team to ensure the shipping product reflects the intent of the design team, the hopes of the stakeholders, and the needs of the user. And he does all of this with a very approachable, cool demeanor, even when others might be losing their cool.
I don’t know how we could have managed without Jesse.
- Conducted user research and created personas, user scenarios, wireframes, and functional prototypes using Sketch and Framer
- Managed a UX design project from ideation to prototype, while iterating based on client feedback
- Collaborated with designers and developers to create a hybrid mobile application (for iOS and Android) using Ionic and Angular
- Prepared and delivered educational community workshops focused on UX design and development — called Zeitspace Sessions
- Created and modified reusable web components in the Yelp Styleguide — the company's widely used design system
- Revamped the website header while working with designers and product managers; rolled out changes synchronously across several web services
- Developed responsive web pages and upgraded legacy mobile web pages (here's an example of a page I worked on)
- Collaborated with others through stand-up meetings, workshops, and code reviews
Jesse is very detail oriented and an excellent communicator. Someone from another team reached out to me personally to share how much he enjoyed working with Jesse. This kind of unsolicited positive feedback is not common.September - December 2016
San Francisco, CA
- Designed and developed web applications (built with AngularJS and Scala) integrated with internal APIs
- Built functional prototypes and created responsive web pages
- Spearheaded new project to refactor existing Angular architecture
- Tested application cross-browser compatibility, including IE8+
- Supported other development teams by maintaining documentation on internal tools and processes
I worked closely with Jesse during his internship, and can honestly report that he has been one of the best interns that I have had the pleasure to work with in my extensive career, far exceeding all expectations for someone of his current progression and experience.
Jesse has proven to be very resourceful, self-sufficient, responsible, reliable, and creative. He eagerly took on any challenge and delivered, in a timely manner, exceptional and production quality work. His proposals, efforts, attitude, intelligence, and opinions quickly earned him much respect from many teams he interacted with. And he demonstrated a very healthy work ethic.
- Implemented new features and fixed bugs for the UWaterloo student portal (built on .NET and AngularJS)
- Assisted in running a student hackathon
- Restructured back end architecture and implemented new features using PHP and MySQL
- Overhauled front end design and improved mobile support
- Assisted in administering development and production Linux servers
- Provided technical support to end-users, fostering oral and written communication skills
- Rebuilt internal web ticketing system (using PHP and MySQL) by adding new features and redesigning the user interface
I'm always eager to learn new technologies and I believe in choosing the right tool for the job.
Bachelor of Computer Science (Co‑op)
Human-Computer Interaction Option
date_range September 2013 - August 2018
- Human-Computer Interaction
- User Interfaces
- Software Design and Architecture
- Computer Security and Privacy
- Cognitive Processes
- Introduction to Cognitive Science